Uncategorized

We made our way West

photo-15 copy

On a Tuesday in November we decided to move west.  I can’t say I was very surprised that our lives were leading us there.  I always had the feeling the mountains were calling to me.  Seasons passed and the time eventually came to pack our lives into boxes and begin our trek west.  It hit me somewhere in the middle of Saskatchewan last week just how lucky we were to have spent the past 10 months in the cute little house by the water.

As we packed our final things into the car that day and took one last walk through of the house, we hugged side by side and took in the sight of the empty space.  In that moment I felt full.  I was filled to the brim with gratitude and nostalgia and felt that familiar wave of bittersweetness that happens with these kind of moves.  Gone were the days of the gorgeous lake sunsets, or the echoing voice of the final boarding call for the ferry.  That cute little house with a view held us through our first year of marriage.  We moved in in the fall – my favourite season of the year, we endured the longest winter since the 70′s, and enjoyed its brilliance turning from the sweetness of spring to a highly anticipated summer.

I have a tendency to fall in love with places and this one takes the cake.  Not that it was better than the house that I grew up in, or my very own apartment in the city, it’s just that I had my new husband with me for this one.  There were we’s and ours plastered on the walls that made this place different. It made this place home.

As we made our way west, we stopped for ball games in the states, jammed to tunes through the prairies and were left speechless with the first glimpse of the Rockies.  Those boxes arrived a few days ago and it finally sunk in that we just moved across the country.  Change isn’t always easy, but it sure is an adventure.

photo-15 copy 34

Standard

11 thoughts on “We made our way West

1. Pam Kirchhoefer says:

Carly I still find myself flipping through those gorgeous pics u took of me and the family…that being said I wish you all the best in your new life out west..you have a whole new view to photograph and I can’t wait to see ur pics and read ur life letters.

2. Anne Marie says:

Glad you made it safe and sound to your new home out west…… And so another chapter is about to unfold. Enjoy xoxo

3. Katie says:

Loving your words today. They’re just right. Missing you both and will capture a few of those sunsets for you and send them your way. xO

4. Laura M. says:

Carly,
    So glad you made it safely to your new home and and new adventure with Adam.
    I so wish I would have had the chance to see you one last time at yoga, and given you a BIG hug. I’m grateful that our paths have crossed and I will certainly follow your posts on Life’s Lesson. Looking forward to the book! Best Wishes!

5. Dale Butler says:

Carly & Adam.. We are so happy for you both. Even with the many miles between us. But with the help of all this technology. We feel we can share and follow your Journey Together…love D&J

6. Dear Carly and Adam….was so glad to find your “lovely written moving story” in my mail. And to hear everything went smoothly on your way to the West ! It surely was a great event to drive through that beautiful part of Canada! (Adam was already there and I remember he loved it in the mountains . Lots of pictures also I saw from Jonathan who was staying in BC , studying overthere!
    I wish you and Adam lots of happines overthere ♥ And hope receiving more of you both! Think alot of you and thanks for thinking of me ;)

7. Dianna says:

Beautiful.
    Carly, I wish the best for you and Adam on this adventure. The ‘Lessons from a Lake” now turn into “Lessons from a Mountain”.
    Thank you so much for that last image of your mat in the empty space, in the sunlight. Go to it often. It will support you and always bring you back to you. I am very grateful for having met you …for sharing the practice, breath, laughter and a few tears.
    Much love…Dianna

8. Victoria Durocher says:

I am so happy that you have chosen to move out west. You and Adam will enjoy the way of life out here.

Cheers
    Victoria

9. Here’s to living out West!! Somehow even though we’re still not in the same country, I feel like you’re that much closer now that we’re in the same time zone. :) May you both make new memories and a cozy home in your new digs!